UNITAS Building Bridges to Success Retreat 2015
In the summer, incoming freshmen are given the opportunity to attend our annual UNITAS Building Bridges to Success Retreat. Dozens of incoming students meet existing student leaders, faculty, staff and administrative leaders in a comfortable setting. Our Mission is:
- to develop positive sense of self; to develop the attitude and skills to be a successful college student
- to be able to cope with developmental changes over the college year
- to understand the impact of culture (family upbringing, race, ethnicity, gender, family income, community, religion, body type, mental or physical differences, sexual orientation, geographic location, age, and other social identifiers) on the individualís perceptions and values
- to develop a sense of social ethics and responsibility; and to create a network of social support in the Villanova community
This network includes students, faculty, and staff.
In applying for the position of VIP (Villanova Insightful Paradigm) you will have to be in constant communication with Charisma Presley and the Co-Chairs of the weekend. It is mandatory for all leaders and VIPís to attend a formal training the date of which will be announced after the application process is complete. As a VIP you must be able to work well with others and effectively handle conflicts, should any arise. Students who are chosen for this position must be highly self-sufficient and not afraid to get dirty. Since VIPs are not assigned to any particular group, VIPís have the flexibility unlike a leader to get to know more incoming students. This position is great for someone who enjoys networking and being behind the scenes. This position requires a certain level of maturity and responsibility and hence a certain amount of trust must be established.
Please be informed that any violation of the student code of conduct during training or the weekend will result in a meeting with the Dean and appropriate disciplinary action will follow.
VIPs must be available for the entire duration of the weekend (from 3:00 p.m. on Thursday until the last student leaves on Sunday), making sure that all students are being cared for and that everything runs smoothly. As previously stated, this is a very serious commitment that you should not apply for unless you will be completely devoted to the weekend. VIPís must also be available for spring training and summer training. If you feel that you are fully qualified for this position, please fill out the attached application and return to the Center for Multicultural Affairs by
Friday, February 1, 2015. (SPRING Study
Abroad Students' applications are due by December 5, 2014).
Thank you in advance for
your commitment and service to multicultural recruitment.
UNITAS 2015 Co-Chairs and Advisors
Alexandra Sobieski, Co-Chair
Mina Ebrahimi, Co-Chair
Annie Choi, Co-Chair
Priscilla Acquaah, Co-Chair
Jonathan Pryor, Co-Chair
Danielle Duval, Co-Chair
Nicole Davis, Advisor
Charisma Presley, Advisor
||Center for Multicultural Affairs/Student Life
||102 Dougherty Hall
||Must attend Spring Training (SUNDAY, APRIL 12, 11:00
4:00pm) AND be available for
the entire duration of the UNITAS weekend (from NOON on Thursday until the
last student leaves on Sunday)
|Job Description for
VIP's and Motto: "Twas never let
it be said and to your shame, all was beauty till you came."
Ms. Smith 9th
grade English Teacher
- Set up and break down workshop rooms and events
- Mingle with various people daily
- Be proactive and take initiative in organizing and cleaning
up the lounges or wherever needed.
- Perform and coordinate the weekend activities
- Be ready and on time for social activities and workshops.
- Answer any questions and concerns for students and parents.
- Be present and ready to assist co-chairs, leaders, and any UNITAS
personnel if needed.
- Be ready for any additional duties as assigned.
- Pay attention to details
- Be well-organized
- Have great communication skills
- Be self-sufficient and be able to multi-task
- Have well-honed people skills
- Willing to follow orders and execute them appropriately
- Being positive and pleasant in role as VIP