View the Artwork in Corr Hall Chapel
Built to house the Augustinian Seminary and earlier known as St. Mary's Hall,
Corr Hall was built between 1912 and 1914, and was funded by the then munificent
donation of $100,000 from Bernard Corr (1828-1912), a wealthy entrepreneur known
for his philanthropy to Catholic institutions. The building was designed in the
Gothic Revival style, complete with medieval chapel and castellated towers. The chapel's original stained
glass windows were made by the renowned German glass maker Franz Mayer & Co. of
After Corr died in 1912, work on the chapel eventually was suspended. So,
too, plans had to be put on hold for the installation of any additional stained
glass windows that would have completed the aesthetic of this sacred place.
Several windows, especially on the west wall, remain as clear glass. In the Fall
of 2006, a
window designed by the Rev. Richard G. Cannuli, O.S.A. ('73 A&S) commemorating
the Villanovans who lost their lives in the 9/11 attacks was installed,
replacing one of the clear windows. It was the first window to be added to the
chapel since its construction.
Originally the Augustinians used the building for seminarian housing and the
chapel for liturgies and recitation of the Divine Office. Today, the main
building is used as a student dormitory, while the chapel continues to provide
for the spiritual life of the Villanova community.