Old Saint Augustine's Church
Old Saint Augustine's Church opened for divine
worship on 7 June 1801 and stood at Fourth and Vine Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Nicholas Fitz Maurice Fagan designed the structure.
Saint Augustine's Church at Fourth and Vine streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was
burned during a display of anti-Catholicism on 8 May 1844. The Augustinians of Villanova,
fearing a know-nothing onslaught against the college, did sentry duty on the grounds while
students vacated the dormitories to sleep off the campus.
Interior of Olde Saint Augustine's
Church restored for its Bicentennial. Founded in 1796 at 4th and
Vine Streets in Philadelphia, suffered extensive damage during a storm in
December 1992. The Church lost its steeple and a portion of its roof
resulting in severe water damage to its decorative plasterwork and
(postcard, Brawer & Hauptman, Architects. 20 North 3rd Street.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106).
|| | Previous Exhibit Item | Next Exhibit Item |
The information and/or photographs on these pages are not to be republished or reproduced in any format without
written consent of Villanova University Archives, Villanova Pennsylvania. All rights are reserved.