"A Plan of
This map details the 197 acre
property purchased by the Augustinian community for the sum of $18,000 on 13 October 1841
from the estate of the late John Rudolph. Rudolph had been a Catholic merchant in
Philadelphia and an officer during the American Revolution. (Photograph of a hand-drawn
map which was printed in Reverend Thomas C. Middleton, O.S.A., D.D., Historical Sketch
of the Augustinian Monastery, College and Mission of St. Thomas of Villanova, 1893.
This is Belle-Air; the John Rudolph
mansion built in 1806, as it looked in 1842 when the Augustinians acquired the house and
This 1856 photograph shows the enlarged and
renovated Belle-Air mansion on the left, the 1848 College Building (Alumni Hall) in the
center, and the old Rudolph barn on the right. (Photograph by J. E. Mclees, Philadelphia).
|| | Previous Exhibit Item | Next Exhibit Item |
The information and/or photographs on these pages are not to be republished or reproduced in any format without
written consent of Villanova University Archives, Villanova Pennsylvania. All rights are reserved.