Log on
Apply | Contact Us | Give a Gift | VU Home | Site Index | Text only
Beginnings

1842-1865

1844 Chapel

The 1844 Chapel.  This structure (demolished in 1902) was used by the Augustinian community, students, and surrounding neighbors.  Students also used the building for classes on weekdays. The college bell, visible in the photograph, hung in a locust tree between the former Belle-Air mansion and the chapel. This bell called students to classes, meals and chapel for seventy years.  (Photograph by J. E. M'Clees, Philadelphia.)

 | Previous Exhibit Item | Next Exhibit Item | 

 

The information and/or photographs on these pages are not to be republished or reproduced in any format without written consent of Villanova University Archives, Villanova Pennsylvania. All rights are reserved.