"A Christian must be one who does not set themselves up over other human beings...If you surpass someone in wisdom, you ought to want that one to be wise too."
Commentary on the 1st Epistle of John, 8:4-5
unprecedented growth continued into the 1950s.The new residence
halls went up on the East Campus, complemented by a new student center
(Dougherty Hall) and a new Commerce and Finance Building (Bartley
Hall). By the end of the decade total enrollment stood around
7000.At the same time two new programs were inaugurated, the
Villanova School of Nursing and the Villanova School of Law, both in
1953.the nursing program opened full-time undergraduate study to
women for the first time. With these new programs in place, it
seemed logical to proclaim that Villanova was in fact a university. Following a special act of the Pennsylvania State Legislature, Villanova
became a university in 1953.
Link to Exhibit Items
view of campus, early 1950s
Turf and Tinsel production, 1950s
Pond on South Campus
of Trustees, 1951
Lieutenant Robert Munday, U.S.M.C
"In Grateful Memory of Robert Thomas Munday who died in the service of his
country on 29 May 1951 in Korea"
Heart Medal, 1951
- Reverend James A. Donnellon, O.S.A., Ph.D
and sons at Mass
Mary Alma, R.S.M.
- Nurses Capping Ceremony
- Invitation to Nurses Capping Ceremony, 8 May 1955
at the Dedication of the Villanova Law School, 27 April 1957
of the Villanova Law School's Garey Hall
to Red Mass
- Red Mass
residents of the barracks on East Campus, c. 1950
University sign, 1968
Francis X.N. McGuire, O.S.A.
Governor John S. Fine
University Seal, adopted 1953
students took their final exams en masse at Villanova Field House, 1955
Hall, view from Lancaster Avenue
spire of Dougherty Hall
Joseph M Dougherty, O.S.A., Ph.D.
Hall dining room
in Dougherty Hall, 1955
Shop in Dougherty Hall, 1955
Store in Dougherty Hall, 1955
fourth Centennial celebration of St. Thomas
John A. Klekotka, O.S.A.
1957 Villanova track team
contender Vicki Huber, 1989
for Shamokinaki Mission Dance, 1957
students in Sheehan Hall, 1960
- Nursing pin
- Nursing cap
- Medallion of the College of Nursing
- "Villanova Declared University"
used in signing House Bill 581
The information and/or photographs on these pages are not to be republished or reproduced in any format without
written consent of Villanova University Archives, Villanova Pennsylvania. All rights are reserved.