Sister Mary Alma, R.S.M.
who co-founded the College of Nursing with Sister M.
Margarella, O.S.F. is seen with nursing students in Austin hall, 1952.
Sister Mary Alma, R.S.M., a faculty member at the diploma school of
Misericordia Hospital, was recruited to assist Father Francis X. N.
McGuire, O.S.A., Villanova College President with the preliminaries of
establishing such a program. Shortly afterwards, Sister M. Margarella
joined the pair. In June of 1951, they began to develop the plan, which
established the nursing division at Villanova College. In 1952 the
division was relocated to the ground floor of Austin Hall, the original
college library. In September 19532, eight high school graduates were
admitted as basic students and began their studies toward a B.S.N. at
Villanova. (Photograph by Jules Schick)
|| | Previous Exhibit Item | Next Exhibit Item |
The information and/or photographs on these pages are not to be republished or reproduced in any format without
written consent of Villanova University Archives, Villanova Pennsylvania. All rights are reserved.