Major and Minor

In order to declare the COM major, you must:

  1. Have a minimum VU GPA of 2.5 or above;
  2. Have enrolled in OR completed both of the following:  COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies and COM 1100 - Public Speaking
  3. Fill out the major declaration form, which is available in the Communication Department office (Room 28, Garey Hall). Please note, if you use the form available online, we will ask you for additional information when you drop it by our office--but it will only take a couple of minutes.

Basic requirements for a Communication major:

Thirty-six (36) credit hours, as follows:

  • Two (2) introductory courses:
    COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies
    COM 1100 - Public Speaking
  • Two (2) theory-level courses (2000-level).
    Note: these courses serve as prerequisites for our advanced topics courses--so you must take at least one of these PRIOR to taking a 3000-level course!
  • Five (5) advanced topics courses (3000-level), from at least three (3) specializations within the Department.
  • Two (2) advanced research courses.
    COM 4001 - Qualitative Research in COM
    COM 4002 - Quantitative Research in COM
    Note: one of these courses will also serve as your A&S sophomore research seminar.
  • One (1) integrative, capstone course (COM 5050 - Senior Project ; prereq: COM 4001 and COM 4002)

Minor in Communication

For those students currently enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences, minoring in Communication is very easy to fit in with most programs of study. Students within the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences can minor in Communication by taking five (5) courses:

COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies
At least one (1) COM 2000-level course (serves as a prerequisite for COM 3000-level courses)

Any three (3) other courses in Communication (one of which must be at the 3000-level)

This means that, after taking our introductory course, you are invited to take a look at all of our course offerings, all of our specializations, and design a minor that fits the specific interest that you have in the field of Communication. You might even choose to focus your minor in one of our 8 specializations, which would let you develop some depth in one area of our field.

Please note, however, that if you are interested in a minor specializing in Media Studies, Media Production, or Journalism, you may be required to take, as one of your 4 other courses, COM 1300 - Film Analysis (this course can also count as your A&S fine arts requirement).

If you have questions about a Communication major or minor, or want to learn more about our specializations, please contact us.


Communication Courses Fulfilling Diversity Requirement

COM 3290 Theatre of the Oppressed (Div. 1-pending)

COM 5300 Topics in Intergroup Dialogue (IGR) (bundle three for Div. 1)

COM 3402 Family Communication (Div. 2)

Communication Courses Fulfilling Fine Arts Requirement

COM 1300 Film Analysis

COM 2240 Theories of Performance Studies

COM 3290 Theatre of the Oppressed 

COM 3343 Contemporary Cinema

Communication Courses Fulfilling Peace & Justice Attribute

COM Rhetoric and Social Justice

COM 5300 Topics in Intergroup Relations (IGR) (three courses)

Contact information

Department of Communication
Garey Hall room 28
Villanova University
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085

Phone: 610.519.4750

Special Notes

Learn more about our department's 8 specializations.

COM 4001, 4002, and 5050 are restricted to Communication majors.

If you are a double major, or a transfer from another major, and have taken another department's sophomore research seminar course, this may be substituted one of the COM research requirements, with Chairperson's approval.

Communication majors who choose internships, or whose specializations require internships, will use them to fulfill their free elective requirements, NOT Communication major requirements.

Students enrolled in the School of Business should look at our specially-designed minor for students interested in careers in business.

Students from the Schools of Engineering or Nursing should contact the Communication Department, to learn about minors that will complement their programs of study.

If you are studying abroad in an international program not sponsored by our department you may transfer up to 6 credits of approved courses. Additional communication courses taken abroad will go to free electives.