About the Abbey Theatre Internship
The Villanova University-Abbey Theatre Exchange Program will provide a grant to a Villanova student to intern at the Abbey Theatre in Dublin, Ireland during the summer season. Founded in 1904, the Abbey Theatre is a world-class institution that actively engages and reflects Irish society. It is also one of the most enduring institutions in literary history and has long occupied an important place in Irish emigrant cultures around the world.
The paid internship will begin at the end of May and continue for eight weeks into July. The student will work alongside theatre professionals in the day-to-day operations of Ireland’s national theatre and help run a new program—the Abbey Theatre Summer Studio. Junior and senior undergraduates and graduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences at Villanova University are eligible. A grade point average of at least 3.0 is required.
How to Apply
Students studying in any Arts and Sciences discipline—particularly Irish Studies, Theatre, English, Media Relations, and Performance Studies—are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- Interest in and/or knowledge of Ireland and Irish culture
- Knowledge of dramatic literature and/or theatre practice
- Excellent research, writing, speaking, and presentation skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- letter detailing the applicant’s interest in the position
- a current curriculum vitae
- a 500-word essay that articulates why theatre is important to the applicant and to society.
- two letters of recommendation OR contact details for recommenders—the selection committee will be happy to contact your recommenders
- Send applications to Joseph Lennon, SAC 105