Who is a Mentee?
A mentee is a Villanova student seeking mentorship from a Villanova alumnus who works in the business world. Students select their mentor based on their field of interest, desired work location and development areas. They outline goals and engage mentors on how to achieve success.
How do I join the program?
VSB and business minor students are eligible to join once they have declared their major sophomore year. Eligible students opt in by completing their mentee profile in the Chronus mentoring system. The system will identify the mentee’s top alumni mentor recommendations. The mentee then selects the mentor they feel could provide them the best guidance on their chosen major/career path.
What is the commitment level?
Mentees and Mentors are encouraged to talk monthly through the mentee’s graduation. However, the commitment level ranges based on the relationship of the pair. While some pairs prefer having monthly catch ups/check ins, other pairs speak as frequently as once a week. Communication is key to the success of a mentoring relationship. Ultimately, what you put into the relationship is what you will get out.
Tips for maintaining a great relationship:
- Take ownership of your relationship, share what you want to work on
- Communicate promptly and professionally—be sure to ask for feedback and listen!
- Aim for at least monthly discussions
- Have a goal set for each meeting—use the time efficiently and have questions prepared
- Show appreciation and be mindful of your mentor’s time
- Be flexible to evolutions in the mentorship
- Don’t be afraid to ask honest, open questions
- Ultimately… what you put into the relationship is what you’ll get out!
- Notify Michele in a timely manner if you have any concerns - firstname.lastname@example.org and understand how mentors achieve work-life balance.