Dear Faculty and Staff,
It is truly an honor to serve as Provost of our University. The creation of this role and the Office of the Provost marks a new chapter in Villanova’s history, consolidates and reorganizes various functions within our institution, and inherently brings about a new approach to our academic enterprise.
As I mentioned in my recent email, I plan to spend a significant amount of time in the coming months listening and learning to better understand the many contributions, ideas and insights of our vibrant Villanova community members. I expect the coming year will be one in which we discover new opportunities to shape, organize, strengthen and achieve Villanova’s academic priorities and strategies.
In an effort to facilitate a smooth transition, the majority of individuals, titles, programs and processes associated with the former Office of Academic Affairs will remain largely the same in the near-term as we move into the new academic year.
There are, however, a number of organizational and operational details of which I would like to make you immediately aware.
Reporting to the Provost:
- The newly created Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) will be led by Dr. Terry Nance, who has been promoted to Associate Vice Provost of Diversity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer. ODI’s mission is to:
- Support our community’s continuing efforts to create a welcoming and diverse Villanova community at all levels: faculty, administrators, staff and students.
- Partner with colleges, divisions, departments and programs to support the recruitment retention and promotion of faculty and staff from underrepresented groups.
- Collaborate with colleagues and offices throughout the University to support the academic success of all students, acknowledging the importance of retaining and graduating students from underrepresented groups, Pell Eligible students and first generation college students.
- Plan strategically with academic, administrative and other units of the University ways to create a Villanova community where individual differences are acknowledged and appreciated, where what we learn, teach, and research creates grounds for understanding, and where we constantly find better ways to communicate across and through that which previously divided us.
- All six academic colleges and the Deans, including Liberal Arts and Sciences, Business, Engineering, Law and Nursing as well as the newly formed College of Professional Studies and its Dean, Dr. Deborah Tyksinski, who joined Villanova in June.
- The Office of Planning and Institutional Research (OPIR) led by Dr. Jim Trainer, who will also report to the President for other university-wide initiatives.
- The Falvey Memorial Library and the University Librarian, Millicent Gaskell, who joined Villanova in May.
- The newly created Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship Institute (ICE Institute), formerly known as the ICE Center, will be led by II Luscri, who has been promoted to Executive Director and who will also oversee the newly constructed Idea Accelerator in Falvey Memorial Library.
- The ICE Institute has a University-wide multi-disciplinary focus and seeks to advance and foster cross-college learning as well as embedding entrepreneurial thinking more deeply in the Villanova culture. Students, faculty, staff and alumni can all access resources within the ICE Institute’s structure.
- The Villanova Idea Accelerator adds ~2,300 square feet of flexible, collaborative space in Falvey Memorial Library to provide a physical venue where Villanovans from all disciplines can gather to engage in innovative, creative and entrepreneurial processes.
Reporting to the Office of the Provost:
- Student support initiatives located in the Falvey Memorial Library Learning Commons - The Office of Learning Support Services and Director Dr. Nancy Mott; the Villanova Writing Center and Director Dr. Mary Beth Simmons; and the Math Learning Resource Center and Director Melissa Ferreira - will report to the Office of the Provost in addition to relationships they have with their related academic departments.
- The Honors Program and its Director, Dr. Tom Smith.
- Academic Support for Athletics and its Associate Director, Jenn Brophy. The Faculty Athletic Representative will continue to report to the President, per NCAA guidelines.
- Timothy Hoffman has been appointed Assistant Vice Provost for Finance and Administration. In this role, he will provide leadership and coordination of the administrative, physical plant, staffing and fiscal operations of the academic enterprise.
- Lauren Kleckner has been appointed Director, Provost Relations and Special Projects. In this role she will advise and represent the Provost to manage and ensure high-level internal, external, and institutional relationships; engagement and stewardship. She will also coordinate and advance special projects on behalf of the Provost.
Office of the Provost Support Team:
Our administrative support team is often the first point of contact for Villanova community members with the Office of the Provost. I want to highlight these individuals and provide some updates within this group:
- Susan Leighton has been appointed Executive Administrative Assistant to the Provost.
- Annette Kane has been promoted to Senior Administrative Assistant and Coordinator of Full-time Faculty Services.
- Christine Anderson serves as Senior Administrative Assistant and Coordinator of Part-time Faculty Services.
- Maria Coan has joined the Office of the Provost as Administrative Assistant.