Butternut Squash, Lentil and Wild Rice Stew
- 2 pounds butternut squash
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 10 1/2 - ounce can condensed French onion soup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Peel squash. Halve lengthwise. Remove seeds and discard. Cut squash into ¾ inch pieces. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine squash, onion, celery, lentils and wild rice. Stir in broth, onion soup, water, thyme and pepper.
- Cover slow cooker; cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Just before serving, stir parsley into mixture in slow cooker. Makes 6 main-dish servings.